Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Day One

Irene died yesterday. It was a peaceful passing in the end. She accepted the finality of her life and went quietly into that good night. I wondered how I would sleep the first night, but I did. For some reason I woke early (5:30), and started my day.

That first morning, the living room seemed large and expansive without the hospital bed and Irene in it. There was an obvious void that I knew would be there for a long time. After all, she had rested there for almost a month.

But, I know she is watching and caring for me and that some day we will reunite.

1 comment:

  1. I took a walk on frozen Lake Pepin during a snowfall. The flakes were coming down in chunks like beautiful pieces of lace. I remembered discovering snowflakes with Irene when we were small. We had caught them on our mittens that our mom or grandma had knit. We made snow angels. I will be sending snow angels her way. I thought a part of me died with her. But I was wrong. A part of her lives in and with me.

    ReplyDelete